12/21/08

A Walk & My Violet (Photo proj-Day 21)

In our small town, we have a nice little park that has picnic tables, pavilions, a playground and gazebos, just like any other park. But we also have a very old church, the very first school in our town and some cool, main street (antique) stores. They have been moved to our park and are always on display. Every 1st and 3rd Saturdays, the little buildings are open and anyone can stroll through them and make purchases and see how it may have looked many years ago. They even have wares you can buy. It's really neat. Every year, the town 'department' decorates the entire park up for Christmas. Lights, candles, huge lighted-stars, lighted-banners, and all sorts of decor go up. It literally takes them several months to finish. They start in August to be done by November when they have the "Official Lighting of the Park" opening for all to see. It is alot of fun! And the only reason they do it is to make our town HAPPY.
It is such a fun time. On Friday & Saturday they have a concession stand up and sell hot cocoa, popcorn balls, and other treats for the kids (and anyone else :0) This is a photo of the big gazebo near the front of the park. We make sure to go every year so we can look for any new decorations that might be up. If you get the chance, come on over and we'll go to the park for a walk.
In the midst of all this cold weather, it is quite a job keeping my indoor plants looking good and thriving. I enjoy taking care of little plants and seeing them grow. I especially like variegated Spider plants. I also have just started learning about African Violets. This one was given to me a few months ago and it was only about as big as the first ring of leaves (from the center outward). I guess I must have placed it in the right spot on my window sill and it has been growing very well. I moved it to my little plant cart with my Spider plants and it is still thriving. They seem to get just the right amount of sunlight there in the sunroom. I think having a bit of LIVE greenery in my home is essential. It's one of the staples of decor I like to use when making up a design element. It works for me.

5 comments:

Michelle O said...

How very pretty. I am going to have to put that on the list of things to try and see for the time we have off from school.
Michelle O

~Kimberly~ said...

Oh, it will be worth your while. Let's try to go together. The boys would love it.

Tammy said...

Oh, I remember going there with you all when we came for Thanksgiving several years ago! That was so beautiful and fun - what great memeories we have made over the years. Here's to many more!

Journey to Lilly! said...

I would love to see this!
Merry Christmas,
Kim

~Kimberly~ said...

Merry Christmas to you! Love you!

Powered By Blogger