7/13/09

Things are growing in my garden

Here's our garden for the summer. We've got green beans, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, sweet peppers, jalapeno peppers and little hot peppers. Along with carrots, squash, cantelope and watermelon. After the cantelope shoots grew long enough, I tied them onto a trellis. When the lopes grow larger, I'll make a fabric swag to hang them on. I'm trying this idea out. We'll see how it goes.
The green beans are really blooming and have been producing lots of beans. We had them for dinner, cooked with onions 'n crispy bacon...yummie.
This was a complete experiment! Ha! I had no idea how easy it was to grow watermelon. Here is one of my first ones starting to grow. The little thing started as a 'NUB'. Below are more that are getting larger by the day. You can see the little melon swags in the background. I've tied the shoots onto the fence like the lopes. We've already counted 41 watermelons. And we only planted 3 plants...this just amazes me. God is sooo good to us!
This is a carrot plant. We started them by planting seeds just 1/4 inch in the ground. After a week we saw these little leaves coming up...so tiny. Now, they've grown into such a pretty little plant. For the fall, we plan to plant more. Pumpkins, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, and a few others. I guess we won't know if we can if we don't try.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Your garden is wonderful!!
I am growing some pumpkins vertical too. I hope they produce like your watermelon! I want to do some onions and green beans, are your beans on a pole? isn't it relaxing to watch the whole thing grow? To me it's just watching God at work. :)

~Kimberly~ said...

We are planting pumpkins in a month or so too. And yes, the green beans are climbing up poles. Makes for easier picking :)
God IS so good and he's giving the increase.

Tina said...

Oh my goodness!! I am coveting your watermelons..lol. We never have luck with watermelon although it is not b/c we don't keep trying. Your garden is kicking!! I will try and take some pics of our(or I should say Bert's I have been no help this year) garden so you can see how awesome your is...Bert says we don't have very good soil..I think we are going to try a new spot next year!

~Kimberly~ said...

Tina you are hilarious! The watermelons were a total experiment. I can hardly believe they're really growing...can't wait to share :) Get some photos of your garden so I can see...yay!!

Tina said...

We just got back in town from camping and I went out to check my garden..it is sooo pitiful! lol. I picked this one beautiful tomato and I was like "oh yeah" but then I turned it over and it was rotten on the other side..lol.

~Kimberly~ said...

Oh, that's so sad :(...

Powered By Blogger